Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Awkward Romance

Well, a lot of people are talking about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. And they should, because District 9 isn't out yet, and they shouldn't be talking about The Proposal.



What did I think of the movie? It was pretty good. Not "teh bestst Transfrmr movy we ben waytin fr!!L@@K!!!" Just pretty good. There were some very good action scenes, ie: the forest battle. And that scene wit the Cons on the moon (Saturn's moon) was exactly what I wanted.

I do have a few major issues though:
1.) Underutilized characters. Ask me what I like about Transformers, I'll say, the characters. That's what makes it stand out. There's a very strong, very engaging cast, and the movie fails to capture that. If only there was less of "The Wacky Adventures of Sam Witwicky at College," then maybe we could have gotten a good arc on Sideswipe or Ironhide.
2.) Too much over-the-top humor. It seems someone forgot to give Michael Bay his medication, and the result was more "they did NOT just go there" moments than the first film. I don't think I need to say anything more than what has already been said about "we don't do much readin'."
3.) The civilian humans. I can stand Sam Witwicky, but everyone else needs to get out of there. It should just be Sam, Lennox, and Epps, that's IT. We don't need 20+ minutes of Sam's roomate being stupid.

I could go on and talk about how I thought the Twins should have been Three Stooges-type characters, or how they could have turned Prime's cold-bloodedness into a character arc, but I don't think it would help.

Overall, I'd give Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen 3 Godzillas. Watch it if you're a fan, but if you're just getting into Transformers, looking for some good fiction, go Beast Wars.

Thanks for reading everyone, and until next time, Keep Watching the Skies. Now..... GIVE ME YOUR FACE!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment